Friday, May 15, 2009

Project: Eco Tech-Tuk

Introducing the Eco Tech-Tuk. Available only in Downtown Vancouver, I will be making deliveries by bicycle with a 5.5’ x 2.5’ custom built trailer.

Why are we doing this? Well several reasons.
  • Zero Emissions & Carbon Neutral.
  • Have you tried parking in Downtown Vancouver?
  • Excellent way to stay in shape.
  • We like to do things differently and NOBODY does this.
  • I truly care about the impact on our environment.

About the Trailer (Visit the Eco Tech-Tuk photo gallery)
IMGP7093

  • Weight capacity of the trailer is 300 lbs (136 kg).
  • The oversize towbar is 2-3/8" (6 cm) in diameter--more than twice the diameter of most other trailers. Its stout size prevents flexing from occurring when pulling heavy loads.
  • The trailer rolls on tough, 5-spoke Skyway pneumatic wheels equipped with precision cartridge wheel bearings. The wheels are mounted on the ends of a welded galvanized steel axle. This produces a low-maintenance, rugged wheel system that stands up under the heaviest loads.
  • Front and rear crossmember.
  • The backbone of the trailer is its custom-extruded 6061-T6 aluminum frame channel.
  • The trailer attaches to the bike via a TIG-welded stainless steel hitch. It uses a secure, 3-point attachment system to keep the hitch tightly fastened to the frame regardless of the load being pulled.
  • 1" (25mm) diameter holes in the web reduce weight while providing numerous tie down points.

So far I have made 4 deliveries on the Tech-Tuk and everybody has been taking a second look as I cruise on by. Today when I took it out to take some
pictures I got stopped by a few people asking me questions and comments like, “Can I rent it?”, “That is so neat”, “For a high tech store thats a pretty low tech vehicle.” I couldn’t tell sometimes if people were laughing at me or cheering the concept?

Among making "green" deliveries there are few other things I have implemented.
  • We only keep 3 to 4 TV's on in the store to reduce energy consumption.
  • The lighting in our store is being operated by Control4 and it shuts the lighting off automatically at midnight.Control4 also shuts off the outside music and the TV's automatically so there not running over night. So many business leave there lights on 24 hours a day.. what a waste of energy.
  • I walk to work, and those of you that know me personally are probably laughing at this because I actually live across the street.
  • I prefer to email invoices thus reducing ink and paper usage.
  • I prefer to promote Energy Star brands in our store.

IMGP7109
There are few other things we do to help do our part. I find that being just a good person is not good enough anymore. One should also care for our planet, our environment and do good things for people locally and around the world.

So if you live in downtown Vancouver or are visiting and see me lugging a Home Theater system on my bike, make sure you wave hi.


Check out our interview with Marketnews here
Visit Hello BC for more info on Cycling in Vancouver
here

No comments:

Post a Comment